We thank everyone for their understanding during this difficult time and urge everyone to following government guidance to keep themselves, their families and their young people safe and healthy.
Clubs and activities
With some of the government changes coming through we are starting to look at what our services may be going forward and when they may be able to resume.
We have been having regular meetings with all of our short breaks providers and want to firstly say a huge thank you to each and every one for their quick response in being able to offer alternative virtual services. I have received some wonderful feedback from families saying that their child has really enjoyed being able to stay in touch and take part in some clubs and also the providers offering support calls and practical support has been invaluable to them.
From our latest meeting we have asked providers to look at if they feel they can open some sessions to families and what these may look like. This is also taking into account surveys/calls with staff and families for their views on when they would be happy to return and measures they would like and need to know in place. With this in mind you may have been or could be contacted by your club to ask a few questions. Please do take the few minutes to reply so that your club can ensure they are taking all the steps to open.
Where online content has worked well in some cases we are also asking all providers to continue with this where possible, especially for those children and young people who are either not able or not wishing to return.
For those clubs located within a school setting we are waiting for some further clarification due to bubbles within schools.
Please also read the latest updates from all of our providers.
Parkdean Resorts, which is the holiday company where we have all our caravans, have announced that they will be closing their site to all holiday makers up to Sunday 5 July.
Please note that this date might be extended again depending on the latest coronavirus guidance. We are continuing to review the situation and will update with further information when we have it.
We will be issuing refunds to those of you who have made a booking up until the 5 July. Please bear with us whilst we process your refund, which could take up to a week. Our staff our working very hard to keep check on all our Short Breaks activities.
Max Cards and activity tickets
We are currently not taking applications for Max cards as we cannot guarantee when we will be able to process and post them out.
Max Card applications made before 6 March have been posted out this week.
We still have not received all the tickets from the parks, but they will be posted out when they arrive and we are able to do so.
Please note tickets are valid until around the end of March next year so please don't worry about not being able to use it. If anyone does have any questions in relation to Max cards or tickets, please do feel free to get in touch with me in the normal way.
Please see links below in relation to the three attractions we work with, with their updates on how COVID-19 is effecting them:
We have made the decision to keep all our beach huts closed for the time being. We will be issuing refunds to those of you who have made a booking in June. We are continuing to review the situation and will update with further information when we have it.
Please bear with us whilst we process your refund, which could take up to a week. Our staff our working very hard to keep check on all our Short Breaks activities.